Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Knotted baby hat tutorial

Sewing for baby: Knotted hat tutorial
I did this guest post over at Whip Up a few weeks ago. Since then, I have modified the pattern a bit, so the final product looks more finished. Posting it here in case you missed it over at Whip Up and also adding the revised steps (in blue).



With the birth of my niece last month, newborn gifts are on my mind these days...Here's a tutorial for making a knotted hat for newborns. I love making and gifting these hats....because they are useful and practical?....naah...because seriously, what's cuter than a teeny-tiny hat on a teeny tiny head. The fact that hats are particularly pricey and difficult to find in ready-to-wear clothes doesn't hurt either. So without further ado...here's how to make one:

Supplies:

Knit fabrics: Take 2 pieces of same fabric or two different fabric. 

This is a great project to use up those scraps that are too big to throw away but too irregular to make into a dress, top etc.

1. Print out the pattern, tape the two pages as shown and cut both pieces of pattern ( total 3 cuts). Piece 1 spans both the pages whereas Piece 2 is only on Page 1.
Once you cut out all the three pieces, tape both parts of Piece 1 by overlapping the small part over the bigger part, up to the dash (-) mark.


2. 

Fold each fabric in two layers, then fold one more time. Place each pattern piece on fold and cut. So now you have two pieces of 1 and two pieces of 2.

3.

 Sew together pieces of 1 along the conical side, right sides together. Sew together pieces of 2 along the semi-circular side, right sides together. 

Note: Leave  a 2 inch opening while sewing piece 2 ( lining). This is an improvement from earlier version where I leave the opening at the joining seam in step 4.

4. 

Now join 1 and 2 by sewing along the raw edge, right sides together. Leave about 2 inch opening.
Note: It was only after sewing a couple of these hats, that I realized I should have left the opening in inner lining piece instead of the seam joining the two pieces. It was one of those "Duh...I'm so stupid" moment.

5. 

Using the opening, turn the whole thing inside out. Use a pencil or point turner to poke the cone out on fabric 1. 
Note: Slip-stitch the opening in fabric 2 shut. I missed this step when I wrote the guest post. 

Push the fabric 2 inside fabric 1. 

6.

Tie a knot with the cone of fabric 1. 
If the hat is a little big, you can turn some of the bottom out to fit the head of the baby. The best part is that these hats don't have a any inside seams to bother the baby skin. Enjoy your little munchkin...hats and all.

9 comments:

  1. It looks lovely! Alas, I have no talent in that department. :(


    GIFTS

    I’ve nothing to give but my heart and head;
    No colors have I but yellow and red.

    Please take what I give as tokens of peace:
    And with these small gifts may your joy increase!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Red Temple Altar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make hats for the ICU heart babies I think I will give this a try,It is out of the ordinary and might give families a little lift to see there baby wearing this cute hat.
      PS. Every hospital has a need for this type of thing just give them a call.And it really helps parents of a sick child to know that other people care as well.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, this hat is adorable. I'm going to put it on my list to make for my daughter this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute ideas and tutorial. THanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat is so adorable. It makes me want a newborn to put it on :) thank you so much for linking up to my party Show and Share! hope to see you again this week!

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wanted to make a baby hat but I didn't really know how. Your guide is very easy to follow then I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your bloom idea too much, may I can use your idea to create my hat, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this hat from your pattern. It was super easy to follow and turned out terrific!!! Thank you for the easy tutorial and fun idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you think it the best fabric for this that you used?

    ReplyDelete

Leave some sugar :)