Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mini Sewing Tutorial: Sweet Dreams Pillow for Toddlers

Sewing tutorial - Sweet dreams pillow for toddlers
Please do not make this pillow for babies/infants. We all know that the pillows ( or any loose bedding) pose a risk to babies. These pillows are meant only for toddlers and older kids. 
 

Ever since the munchkin started going to the daycare there has been a war at sleeptime. I have seen cold war, stealth mode operations, coercion, bribery, threats, theft and outright combat in person.The object under dispute - My husband's pillow. Munchkin would boldly claim it as hers as soon as she gets into the bedroom and in fact it is the biggest draw for her to get to sleep. By the time hubby knows it, his pillow is already gone. If my daughter is awake at the time, they both try to assert their ownership. While this all makes for a very amusing sleep time drama, I realized that it may not be good for munchkin's back to sleep on an adult pillow. We both ( Me and Hubby) arrived at the conclusion that since she has picked up this habit of using a pillow at her daycare, we better get her a daycare sized pillow to sleep on.

Does your munchkin need a pillow too? Here's how I made this:


Supplies:


Flannel for the body ( 12.5 inches long and 42 inches wide)
Co-ordinating fabric for a contrasting panel ( 12.5 inches long and 4 inches wide)
Ribbon for embellishing (half yard) I used a satin ribbon but I think grosgrain would be better.
Batting or polyfill


1.


Cut the main piece into a rectangle of 12.5 inch ( length) X 42 inches ( width)

2.





Cut the contrasting piece 12.5 inch ( length) X 4 inch


3.


Sew the contrasting panel about 3 inches away from the edge of main piece. Sew it with the longest stitch and don't worry about finishing the edges. You're in effect basting the piece to the main fabric. It will be finished by the ribbon.


4.

Sew the ribbon over the edges of contrasting panel. Make sure you cover the raw edges with the ribbon. You will have to sew two seams on each ribbon. One along either edge. Go slow and steady here.


5.


Now fold the main fabric in half along the width and sew along all three open sides. Leave an opening of 5 - 7 inches in the center of the bottom seam. 

This is where munchkin got too excited about my sewing machine and started trying really hard to get to it...really hard. So in all the chaos that ensued I forgot to take picture of the next steps. So I will just explain them in text. Good thing they are very easy to do.


6. Snip off the corners of this rectangle so you have sharp corners when you turn out. Now turn out, poke the corners out with a pencil.

7. Fill fibrefill or batting inside the pillowform until it becomes as fat as you want it. For the little one, I kept it pretty thin because I don't want her sleeping on very high pillow, but if you're making this for older kids, you may want to stuff it well. IF you're using batting like me, this step may take a while, because you have to spread the layers evenly.

8. Slip-stitch the opening shut.




Bye bye pillow fight! Hello sweet dreams!
The toddler loves her pillow and even carried it to her bed last night by herself.

PS: If I didn't have a really active toddler running with my sewing supplies and playing orchestra on my serger, I would have considered adding the yellow flowers from the main fabric on to the contrasting panel, like I did here. Or I might have considered cutting out her initials in felt and use as appliques, but I guess I really wanted the pillow.





Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Love it! Adult pillows are too big for my toddler and I can't find any toddler sized pillows. Now I can just make one!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/search/label/Link%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danielle.
    I have added it to your party Tutu and Tea Parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and funky pillow! Love it. I sooo understand that sleep time drama. Right now we are having snuggle wars at our house. Cute but still not that fun sometimes. Would love to have you come link-up at Finished it Friday! Have a fabulous weekend! ~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable!! Stopping by from What Allie's Making Now linky party and your newest follower here and on Pinterest.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2012/01/hollys-first-coat.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pillow! Sounds like it's just what your daughter needed!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute pillow. You're so talented! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty!! Thanks for sharing at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pillow tutorial! I love that ribbon by the way! I hope she sleeps better for you and doesn't swipe your pillows anymore :)
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice and detailed tutorial.. Love the fabric choice..
    Thanks for linking up!
    Love
    Hani

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute pillow! I've got to try this!! Thanks for posting I found you over at Night Owl Crafting! I'm your newest follower!

    xoxo,
    Lilli
    Onestopbabygifts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this...I simply used a traveling pillow that I got at Wal-mart. For air planes and such. Works great but so blah. Making him some cute pillow covers...much better ones then poor quality ones at the store, or the good quality, crazy expensive ones that I'm not spending precious money on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice Tutorial
    And will try this at home

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should change the name from 'BABY' pillow to toddler or something else...someone will make a big mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very Nice Blog Post for more information Vsit.>Baby Cushion

    ReplyDelete

Leave some sugar :)