Friday, July 15, 2011

Butterfly Dress Saga - Part 3 - Shirred version

Sewing project: Shirred butterfly dress



And you thought I was done with Butterfly dresses. ( Read how it all started in Part 1 and Part 2 ). No way!
As I promised, I finally tried my hand at shirring around the neck and despite the picture looking like angel wings etc, it actually looks pretty good on the little one.
Here's the complete dress:


Get the original tutorial here ( Sewing in no mans land). Here're the changes I made to it:
1. Took a single fold of fabric for sleeves instead of double
2. Shirred 4 rows of elastic around the neck instead of gathering it.
3. Finished the sleeves with rolled hem. ( Here's a great tutorial for rolled hems )
4. Hand Embroidered some leaves around the front neck, just wanted to give the dress some pick-me-up.